Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Apartment Etiquette

I need your advice! I’m sooo mad, tired and infuriated!!!!!!! Are my feelings justified? You tell me:


I live in an apartment building with laundry facilities on site. At 12:00 am I went to do my laundry because I spilled water all over my bed, and hadn’t had a chance to wash my spare set of sheets. So I decided to do all my laundry, not just the sheets. Nobody was in the laundry room and all 6 washers were empty and no dryers were operating. However I did see a basket on top of one of the dryers. 25 minutes later I go to put my laundry in the dryers, but there is a problem. Out of 5 dryers only two were available. Whoever had washed and dried their clothes still had not gotten them out of the dryers. It’s 12:30 am by now. I put the most important clothes into the 2 empty dryers, and then I sat down on the bench for 5 more minutes. The clothes in the other 3 dryers were dry and had obviously been dry for quite some time. I know that they had been done for at least 30 minutes. I kept asking myself if I should just put the clothes out of one of the dryers and lay them on top of the dryer. I debated for a few minutes, but I gave in. I stood there and emptied one of the dryers, but I couldn’t just put the clothes on top of the dryer and leave them. I stood there and folded all of the clothes that I took out of the dryer and placed them neatly on top of the dryer and then proceeded to use the dryer. It was a good thing that I did go ahead and use the dryer, because by the time I was finished roughly a 1 & ½ later nobody had come back to get their clothes out of the dryer! Was I wrong? Did I have to be so nice and fold a dryer packed with jeans and shorts? It has been a long time since I lived in an apartment that I didn’t have washer/dryer hookups in the apartment. So did I use proper Laundry Facility Etiquette? What would you have done?

1 comment:

  1. Oh............I hate it when you do that!!!!!I'm reading the blog and thinking what would I do, had decided I'd just go ahead and do a random act of kindness by folding the laundry...and in the next sentence, THAT'S WHAT YOU DO!!!!! Why do we even bother talking??lol
    As for apartment etiquette, the only thing I could advise is: "Do unto others what you would have them do unto them"

    ReplyDelete