Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Family Christmas Traditions Part 1

All families have traditions, the two that mean the most to me happen to be right around the corner. Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning Breakfast have been two family traditions that have continued to evolve from my childhood into my adulthood with a few changes. It's so wonderful that the traditions I loved and looked forward to as a child would be able to continue to grow and still be with me even as an adult.

Christmas Eve

For as far back as I can remember every Christmas Eve has been about the Christmas Story. As a child, my Mom, my Dad and I would sit around the Christmas tree and my Dad would read to us the true Christmas Story, the birth of Christ, right before I was put to bed. It was our family tradition. Every year we did this up until I moved out. Later my Mom and Dad divorced when I was an adult, so my Dad and I have kept Christmas Eve as our time to get together and celebrate Christmas. We would exchange gifts and spend time together as family and from time to time my Dad has still read the Christmas Story to me before he would leave. I remember one year we even went to a candle light Christmas Eve church service. For the past three years or so we would go out and eat together, exchange presents, and simply enjoy our time together. We don't always read the Christmas Story together every year, but I always try to sit down and read it myself by my tree right before I go to bed. I can't think of anything better than to spend Christmas Eve with my Dad and reading from my Bible the true Christmas Story.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment